Monday, September 10, 2012

Butterflies, a Birthday & the Beach

Since Matthew's death, butterflies have special meaning to me. Whenever I see one, it reminds of of eternal life:
A caterpillar is wrapped up in a cocoon and emerges as a beautiful butterfly, free to fly!
As Christians, we are buried in the grave at death, 
but arise to new life in heaven, free to fly...FOR ETERNITY!!!
So, anytime I see a butterfly, I think of Matthew. They remind me of the day my family will be complete again. Their beauty and freedom are a symbol of hope for me. They make me smile.

Last week, I saw hundreds of butterflies. They were everywhere I went. Crisscrossing in front of me as I drove, in my yard, in parking lots...everywhere. It was unbelievable...and beautiful!

I also had a birthday last week...The 10th Anniversary of my 29th Birthday!
Okay, I turned 39, whatever!!!  


It was a great day. Lots of  "Happy Birthday" wishes, my favorite Mexican food for dinner, three cakes and homemade cookies.  (Good thing I like to exercise!!!)  With all the butterflies I've been seeing, I can't help but think they were a little birthday gift from God. It made me feel like Matthew was a part of my special day. Thank you Lord for that special blessing!!!

To complete Birthday Week, I decided to take a day off Friday.  It's been a really long summer at my office.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but it has definitely challenged me the past few months. I've put a lot of things on hold here at home and with the Matthew Project.  I've also had to learn to say the dreaded "n" word...NO.  For the first time since high school, I was unable to be a part of Vacation Bible School at our church. (that was a really tough one for me!)

God has literally been putting scripture about rest and being still in front of my face.  It's hard to deny what HE wants me to do when that happens. There's no denying that I'm tired and need rest.  Plus, we have several events coming up with the Matthew Project and that's always physically and emotionally draining. So I took a day Friday to rest and spend some quality time with God.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29


I definitely found some rest for my weary soul Friday.  

My weekdays usually start with this (for a good 3 or 4 miles):
followed by this:


My Friday started with this:

and then this:


The beach after Labor Day is sooooooo peaceful. The weather was perfect and there was no one near me. I was able to read, pray and relax.  It was definitely needed. And as I was almost ready to leave, a beautiful butterfly flew by me, returned to fly around my head a few times and nearly landed on my knee.  Isn't GOD amazing!!!

I listened to what HE was telling me to do by taking a true day of rest. No laundry, no errands, no work of any kind. Those of you who know me know that was a challenge for me. Yet I did it and enjoyed it. And God met me on the beach. We had quality time together. And then, just because HE's God and HE he can, HE sent me a little gift.  A tiny butterfly that many may not have even noticed meant more to me than words can describe. 

So today, I was back on the treadmill bright and early. I was back at my (over piled) desk. Back to mommy and wife things. Back to planning gun safety events.  But for one day, I rested and until I can do it again, I am thankful for that. I am thankful for a job that keeps me busy, yet allows me to run the Matthew Project. I am grateful for a husband and son who have lots of dirty clothes for me to wash. I am grateful for errands to run and grocery shopping to do and for a house to clean. I am grateful for the life God has given me, even though it is not the life I imagined. I know that as long as I am still on this earth, HE has something for me to do.

And, I am grateful for butterflies and the happy thoughts they bring when they come...
For I have given rest to the weary and joy to the sorrowing.
Jeremiah 31:25


No comments:

Post a Comment