Monday, September 24, 2012

Bound on Earth, Connected for Eternity

There are soooooooo many things I miss about Matthew. I couldn't even begin to name them all...I think the list would just go on and on. There are the obvious things like his smile and the sound of his voice. Then there are the things that would only be special to me.  For example, the smell of his hair. It rarely smelled good. Many times he would get out of the shower only to hear me say, "Matthew, get back in there and use soap this time" (in my best mom voice). But, when Matthew hugged me, his head fit right under my chin. So, as I would bend down to kiss the top of his blond head, with his arms wrapped tightly around me, the smell of his hair filled my world. That is why I miss his smelly boy hair. It may seem silly to some, but it's a precious memory to me. 

I really could go on and on, the list is endless. However, without a doubt, one of the things I miss the most, is my two boys together. Being the mom of two boys is exhausting. You have to constantly try to stay one step ahead of two mischievous, creative minds. But for me it was one of the most beautiful gifts God ever gave me.

I remember clearly the moment I found out our second child was another boy. There really was no surprise. As many of you know, a Bellamy girl is a rare occurrence! I began to pray right then, with a full bladder and ultrasound goop still on my belly, that God would forge an unbreakable bond between these two brothers that would call me "mommy".  I asked God to give them a relationship like Chip has with his brothers.  God answered my prayer.  If you knew my boys together, you know what I mean.  They were quite a pair!

I loved listening to them laugh together. I loved hearing them play together. I loved the things they "plotted" together.  I love the way Will protected Matthew. I love the way Will taught Matthew.  I love the way they would fight until Chip and I would intervene, then they turned on us!  I love their silliness. So many things...

Will and Matthew spent so much time together. They did so many things together. They were bonded to the core. And I miss it! I miss "them"!

Learning to live without his other half has not been easy for Will. It is something he will deal with for the rest of his earthly life.  He has had many battles. So many times, when I have been unable to say or do the right thing for him, I have wished (deeply) that Matthew was here for him.  

Will was an amazing Big Brother for 11 years. And he still is. He carries Matthew with him. I love the way he protects his brother's memory. His eyes sparkle when he talks about Matthew. He lovingly shares memories. He works on things for the Matthew Project, in his on way, with pride to honor his brother. I don't think he even knows it, but Will is still taking care of his little brother everyday. I just wish it was in a physical, literal way.  I pray that he will continue to trust God and be guided by HIM in what he is to do with his memories, pain & grief.

This is my favorite picture of my boys...

It's probably obvious to you why I love it. 

But what you don't see is that they were pressing their heads together, 
trying to push the other one over. 
I just happened to snap my camera at the right moment
capturing a beautiful picture of my boys. 
It's the playfulness that only I knew of in this moment that miss until it hurts sometimes.













How does a mother's heart EVER  stop missing this?!?

I know that one day, they will see each other in heaven and it will be as if they were never apart.  WHAT a GLORIOUS day that will be!!!

The bond forged on earth, will live on for eternity.
God gave them to me once, HE will do it again.

But for now, I just miss it!!!
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows 
~James 1:17


My precious boys,
I love you both so much more than you can ever know. Even when the pain is great, I am reminded it is temporary.  I praise God for choosing me to be your mommy, blessing me with sweet memories of you together and promising me an eternity with you!
You truly are God's greatest earthly blessings to me.
Mommy






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your words and Honoring Matthew with the Matthew Bellamy project. I have been blessed with 2 boys and pray each night for protection and the gifts to be a good Mother! May your project efforts spare other families this pain. My boys are around guns and we discuss what can happen and safety. But you know every day is a blessing and we need to treasure each minute or second! The love is always in the heart whether on earth or in Heaven. Thoughts and prayers with you all!
    Lisa Hall

    ReplyDelete