Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easter Is THE Reason

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
~John 3:16
As far back as I can remember, Christmas was my favorite holiday.  I loved everything about it.  As a Christian, of course I celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ with great joy and thanksgiving.  But I am not ashamed of the fact that I loved and enjoyed all the other "stuff" that comes with Christmas (hello! Christmas cookies).

But one Friday afternoon four years ago changed all that. 

Holidays are painful without Matthew.  They remind me of what is missing.  Matthew loved holidays and without him, it's just not the same.

However since his death, the magnitude and beauty of Easter has become so powerful for me.  Christmas and the birth of baby Jesus is wonderful, but it's only the beginning of the story.  Jesus' death and resurrection three days later is where my hope comes from.  Easter is the reason I will see Matthew again.

It overwhelms me, completely.  I am in tears just typing these words.  I am so unworthy of the gift God has given, yet I have received.

I know the pain of losing a son.  I did not choose for my son to die.  And if I had been given the choice, I would have screamed "NO!!!!!!!!!!".

Yet God loves you and me so very much that He willingly let His perfect son come to earth, become human, be mocked, tortured and abused and finally murdered - all for us.  And because He loves me that much, I get to see my baby boy again.  I get to feel his sweet arms around my neck.  I get to hear him say "I love you to the moon and back mommy". 

I long for that day.  I can't wait for him to take my hand and show me the beauty and majesty of heaven.  I can't wait...
But I have to wait.

And that is why Easter overwhelms me.  It's almost too much.  The magnitude of God's love is almost more than I can handle.

There are no words that I can ever say to thank God for this gift.  I can never earn it nor do I deserve it.  Yet, He has freely given it to me.

So, as you celebrate Easter, remember that Easter is THE reason.

I know many of you may be going through some tough times.  Our family is in a definite time of testing right now.  I urge you though, whatever struggles you are facing, cling to the fact that Easter is THE reason for HOPE.

It seems dark now, but I know how the story ends...
JESUS WINS!

I pray you have a blessed Easter.  And I pray you find hope not only in the beauty of the cross, but in the power of the empty tomb.
He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.
~Matthew 28:6
Easter 2001
Happy Easter in heaven Matthew.  
I can't wait until we get to celebrate and praise God together!!!
I love you to the moon and back!
~Mommy

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us, Mylissa. It is powerful and moving to hear you describe the gift in that way! And, that is also the sweetest Easter photo I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie,
      I love this picture of Matthew. It really captures his sweet, happy spirit.
      Hope you had a blessed Easter.
      Mylissa

      Delete
  2. There is so many stories behind every blogger that I read, and you touch my heart! Sorry for you lost and the lord bless you and your family. I had experience the lost of my baby in January 2014, but I didn't had the chance to meet him/her. However, my baby will live in my heart for ever, and I know is waiting for me in heaven. Now the reason for my visit to your blog is because I found your blog through bloggy moms, and I would like to extend you an invitation to Blog of the Month Busy Mom Monologues. This is a great way to get your blog out there. Here is the link if you are interested: http://bit.ly/1sL2UV0

    Also there you can read my story of my baby lost.

    Good Bless you!

    ReplyDelete