Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I Sometimes Forget

Jeremiah 29:11 is probably one of the most popular scriptures in the Bible...
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lordplans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
I'm sure you've seen it many places: on pictures, bags, bookmarks, church bulletins, t-shirts, etc. It's definitely a well loved scripture. At some point, God may have used these words to speak to you personally. They have spoken to me many times.  

However, several years ago, God showed me the verses that follow and made them speak to my heart. I saw something new in His word...
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with ALL YOUR HEART. 
~Jeremiah 29:12-13
And just like that, HE had my attention! 

There have been times when I have forgotten what God taught me about these verses. Then HE has to knock me on the head and remind me again of the message HE wants me to see.  

It's not just that God has plans for good in our future as it says in verse 11.  That is a beautiful and I don't mean to minimize the wonderfulness of that promise. But, I think God is trying to say HE wants a relationship with us.  HE doesn't just want to bring about good things for us. HE intends for us to call out to HIM and ask HIM. HE wants us to seek HIM and need HIM.  If God just provides the good things, how do we grow in our walk with HIM? Wouldn't we start to see ourselves as self sufficient if we didn't have to call out and seek HIM with ALL OUR HEART (hello!)???

I sometimes forget verses 12 & 13. I get frustrated with God and "remind" HIM of what HE promised.  Then HE gently (and sometimes not so gently) reminds me that I am to seek HIM. I am to need HIM. I am to pray to HIM.  And then I will find HIM and HE will listen to me.

I love these verses for many reasons.  As I am beginning a new year, I hope I can keep my focus on verses 12 & 13 and not just look at verse 11 for the quick easy answer.  I don't have to wonder if HE will hear me, if HE will be there, if HE will answer.  When I do my part, when I seek HIM with ALL my heart, when I put HIM first, I will find HIM. God wants me to need HIM. I think I can handle that!

Happy New Year, and may God bless you as you seek HIM with ALL your heart in 2013!
~Mylissa
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment